Watermelon Fruit Bowl
|August 15, 2015||Filled under General Posts|
So many get-togethers during the summertime – picnic, beach, pool, backyard, lake, park, you name it. Instead of bringing what everyone else brings (you know I’m talking about potato salad, right?) surprise your friends with this fruit-filled melon, and everyone will want to know how you did it. Fresh fruits, cool gelatin and a slice of summer all in one. Of course, you may find yourself with more invitations that you can work into your social calendar. But I never get tired of barbecue!
JELL-O Watermelon Bowl
Prep Time: 15min.
Total Time: 4hr. 45min.
Servings: 16 servings, 3/4 cup each
- 1 qt. (4 cups) boiling water
- 2 boxes (6 oz. each – this is the large box. You can also use 4 small boxes that are 3 oz. each) of your favorite flavor of regular JELL-O Gelatin, or 4 boxes (0.3 oz. each) JELL-O Sugar Free Gelatin
- 1 qt. (4 cups) cold water
- 4 cups assorted summer fruits (watermelon balls, honeydew balls, banana slices, strawberry slices)
- watermelon bowl (see Tip)
- Add boiling water to gelatin mixes in large bowl; stir 3 min. until completely dissolved. Stir in cold water.
- Refrigerate 1-1/2 hours or until thickened.
- Add fruit; stir. Pour into Watermelon Bowl. Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.
To Make the Watermelon Bowl
Select a large round watermelon (12 to 14 lb.). Cut off thin slice from bottom of melon, then cut off top 1/3 of melon. If desired, use sharp knife to scallop edge of larger watermelon piece. Scoop out fruit from both pieces with melon baller. Invert watermelon shell on paper towels; let stand to drain excess juices before filling with fruited gelatin. Mix desired amount of watermelon with other fruits before adding to gelatin as directed. Reserve remaining watermelon for snacking or another use.
How to Prepare in a Large Oblong Watermelon Bowl (18 to 20 lb.)
Prepare Watermelon Bowl as directed. Prepare fruited gelatin as directed, using 3 boxes (0.6 oz. each) or 6 boxes (0.3 oz. each) JELL-O Sugar Free Gelatin and 1-1/2 qt. (6 cups) each boiling water, cold water and assorted fruit. Makes 24 servings.