Posts Tagged by shrimp
|December 2, 2016||Posted by Tracy Knutsen under Main Dishes|
Butternut Squash and Coconut Soup with Shrimp
Whole Foods has done it again! Savor this Thai-inspired soup, with a base of creamy coconut milk, rich butternut squash, a hint of spicy peppers and succulent shrimp. For a shortcut, look for peeled and cubed butternut squash in the produce or frozen foods section. Serve over rice or noodles, if you like.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste, more to taste
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces, about 4 cups
- 2 cups low-sodium gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, toasted (optional)
- Lime wedges
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant and onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in curry paste, sugar and salt and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in squash, broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Stir in shrimp and simmer just until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro, sprinkle with coconut and serve with lime wedges on the side.