Posts Tagged by quinoa
|January 27, 2017||Filled under Diabetic Friendly, Healthy, Main Dishes, Vegetarian-Vegan|
There will be looks of envy from the meat-eating crowd when you serve this colorful and delicious entree of roasted bell peppers stuffed with quinoa, mushrooms, carrots, spinach, and cashews. For a beautiful presentation, choose a combination of green, red, orange and yellow bell peppers.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for oiling the pan
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 7 bell peppers, 1 cored, seeded and chopped; tops removed and reserved from remaining 6 then cored and seeded
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 pound baby spinach
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until transparent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until softened, 4 to 5 minutes more. Add carrots and chopped peppers, cook until just softened, then add parsley and spinach (in batches, if needed). Let spinach wilt then stir in cinnamon, cumin and cooked quinoa and toss gently to combine. Add salt, pepper and cashews and cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Set aside to let filling cool until just warm.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9×13-inch baking pan; set aside.
Divide quinoa mixture evenly among remaining 6 bell peppers, gently packing it down and making sure to fully fill each pepper. Top each pepper with its reserved top then arrange them upright in prepared pan. Cover snugly with foil and bake, checking halfway through, until peppers are tender and juicy and filling is hot throughout – about 1 hour.
Transfer to plates and serve.