Posts Tagged by pump
|September 23, 2014||Filled under Breakfast, Drinks, Frugal Tips and Tricks|
The Autumnal Equinox. The word equinox comes from the Latin words for “equal night.” The fall and spring equinoxes are the only days of the year in which the Sun crosses the celestial equator. From here on out, the temperatures begin to drop and the days start to get shorter than the nights.
I’m so excited that Autumn is finally here and the Pumpkin Fest can begin!
I’m not usually a flavored coffee kinda gal. I definitely have to have my cup or two (or five) of coffee every single day, but please don’t offer me any fancy schmancy, fluffy, beautiful coffee. Just hand me a cup of plain old coffee with cream and
Splenda coconut sugar. However, anything pumpkin flavored is a totally different story. Homemade Pumpkin Spice Coffee Syrup (inspired by the fabulous Katrina over at In Katrina’s Kitchen.) I especially love this because it’s so inexpensive to make when compared to the bottles of flavored you can buy in the store – and with no chemicals!
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Coffee Syrup
Makes about 1-1/2 cups or 12 ounces of syrup. If you use a ton of coffee flavoring, I recommend doubling the recipe.
- 1 Cup water
- 3/4 Cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1/2 Teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine water and sugar in a microwave safe bowl and heat through (3-4 minutes, longer if you double the recipe.) Side note: watch this carefully because it tends to want to boil over in the microwave.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Whisk in pumpkin puree and spices.
- Let the mixture steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Drain over a small sieve or cheesecloth.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
This was super easy! I was still hesitant to add this to my coffee, but I’m so glad I tried it. I was fully prepared to offer this to a friend at work because I was pretty sure I still wouldn’t like flavors in my coffee. But that didn’t happen. This stuff is de-lish! Go make some of your own, cuz you’re not getting any of mine.
Pumpkin Fest is on! Stay tuned for more pumpkin-y delicious recipes.