Fresh Basil Pesto
Fresh basil is so easy to find in the summer. Use it to make this wonderful pesto sauce, and be sure to make extra to freeze!
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (fresh or canned)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts or walnuts
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled (more or less to suit your taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
This is probably the easiest sauce I make - and my favorite. We amp up the garlic in this one and use this sauce for lots of things. It's yummy when baked on chicken breast and topped with mozzarella. Try mixing it with a little sour cream and serving it as a cold dip. We've used a vegan Parmesan and made spinach "meatballs" and gnocchi for a Sunday afternoon feast!
Add all ingredients to a food processor.
||Blend until smooth (about 45 seconds to a minute.) Add additional olive oil if you prefer a thinner sauce. Adjust garlic, salt and pepper to taste. |